8550 Anselmo Lane
Baton Rouge, LA 70810





Renters Insurance in Greater Baton Rouge

When you rent an apartment, condo, or single-family home, the landlord's insurance policy protects the structure itself. To protect your personal property from damage or theft, you'll need renters insurance coverage.

What Is Renters Insurance?

A renters insurance policy protects the contents of a rented home. This type of policy provides the coverage you would need to replace your belongings when faced with an unexpected event like a fire or break-in. Some policies also cover property damage or personal injury liability, regardless of whether the incident in question occurred at your residence or elsewhere.

Cash value policies cover the current value of the insured items, while replacement coverage policies cover the cost to purchase the same item as new.

Why Do I Need Renters Insurance?

Renters insurance prevents you from having to pay out of pocket to replace your belongings if they are damaged or stolen. This type of policy can fund a new wardrobe, new home furnishings, new electronics, and replacement of other items rendered unusable by a covered event. Even if you think your personal property isn't worth much money, it would be quite expensive to replace everything you own at once without insurance.

In some cases, a landlord may require you to show proof of a renters insurance policy as a condition of your lease.

What Does Renters Insurance Cover?

Renters insurance covers everything from the clothes you wear to your furniture and electronics to valuables such as jewelry, art, and heirlooms. The policy will pay for the items to be replaced if they are lost or damaged in a covered event, a category that typically includes weather-related events such as snow, sleet, ice, lightning, fire, wind, and hail as well as a motor vehicle or aircraft accident, riot, vandalism, or theft.

Renters insurance usually does not cover intentional harm to an individual or personal property. If you use your rented home to provide professional service or run a business, you need commercial general liability insurance to protect items used in your work, such as computer systems.

What Questions Should I Ask My Agent?

If you're shopping for a renters insurance policy, ask your agent the following questions:

  • What is covered by my policy and what items are not covered?
  • Do you offer cash value coverage or replacement coverage?
  • Can I share a policy with my roommate?
  • Are covered items replaced if they are stolen outside the home?
  • Do you require extended coverage for valuable items like jewelry?
  • What are your payment options?
  • What happens when I file a claim?

In the greater Baton Rouge area, trust the decades of experience offered by Losey Insurance & Financial Services, a family-owned, women-owned business. We strive to use our expertise to get our customers the best possible coverage for their needs. Get in touch today for your personalized renters insurance quote.